Protein-rich Vegetarian lunch for two.
Serves: 2 | Prep: 25 mins | Cooks: 30 mins
Per serving: 653 kcals | 33.9g fat | 5.9g sat fat | 71.1g carbs | 4g sugar | 8.7g fibre | 19.1g protein | 0.3g salt
(Brown rice adds important fibre and fresh chilli supplies a bit of heat)
150g / 5 ½ oz Brown rice
2 Large eggs
70g / 2 ½ oz Spinach
4 Spring onions, finely chopped
1 Red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
½ Ripe avocado, sliced
2 tbsp Roasted peanuts
- Place the rice in a large saucepan and cover with twice the volume of water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has nearly all disappeared. Continue to simmer for a further few minutes if some liquids remain.
- Meanwhile, cook your eggs. Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil. Carefully add the eggs to the pan and boil for 7 minutes – the whites will be cooked and the yolks should still be slightly soft. Drain and pour cold water over the eggs to stop them cooking. When cool enough to handle, tap them on the work surface to crack the shells and peel them. Cut the eggs into quarters.
- Stir the spinach, half of the spring onions and a little red chilli into the cooked rice.
- To make the vinaigrette, whisk the olive oil, Dijon mustard, cider vinegar and lemon juice together. Pour the dressing over the warm rice and mix to combine.
- Divide the rice between two bowls and top each with the remaining spring onion, avocado, remaining red chilli, peanuts and egg quarters.